This chapter compares and contrasts the differences between a righteous and an ungodly individual. For believers, righteousness is first attained by putting faith in Christ Jesus:
“For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV
Next, it is out-worked/something to be sought after:
“Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.” 1 John 3:7 KJV
“Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” 2 Timothy 2:22 KJV
Psalms 1 shows us that an individual who chooses the righteous lifestyle is said to be blessed i.e. happy (Strong’s) and does the following:
- Doesn’t walk in the counsel of the ungodly, stand in the way of sinners or sit along with the scornful (verse 1): He/She recognises that the advice and continued company of those that do not walk in God’s way would hardly lead him/her to God;
- Delights in and constantly meditates on God’s law: For the New Testament believer, this translates to taking pleasure in God’s Word – the Bible, by reading, studying, meditating and doing; the outcome of which influences lifestyle choices.
These benefits (verse 3) accrue to the righteous:
- Constant nourishment – a tree supplied by rivers of water would hardly dry up even in dry seasons, due to multiple water sources;
- Fruitfulness in due season – after seasons of planting and testing is the harvest i.e. due season surely;
- All-round prosperity e.g. spiritually, family-wise, health-wise, career-wise etc.
The chapter didn’t explicitly explain the features of a ungodly individual, probably because it’s the opposite of the righteous one. Such is however irrelevant, like waste products from processing harvested wheat (verse 4).
Finally, the outcome of these two lifestyles is made clear:
- For the righteous: God knows their way. I believe this means at least, He’s available to them when they call.
- For the ungodly: they shall perish!
Please, remember that your actions inform about the lifestyle you’ve chosen. Let’s be Christians not just in words, but in our actions:
“If you know (perceive and are sure) that He [Christ] is [absolutely] righteous [conforming to the Father’s will in purpose, thought, and action], you may also know (be sure) that everyone who does righteously [and is therefore in like manner conformed to the divine will] is born (begotten) of Him [God].” 1 John 2:29 AMP
God bless you🙂
© Lydia Ndagilaya for PneumaWord
#DailyWordSnippet #WordSnippet #Encouragement #Bible #WordOfGod #JESUS #PneumaWord